this 'n that™

Tuesday, January 18, 2005

This one time at Camp..

I thought I’d share something that happened..

I was at a Gurmat Camp and had just settled the girls in my group down for a talk on Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji. As I sat down with them, I leaned back against a wall and thought ‘I can rest for an hour now’ (lets say the girls in my group where lively and energetic at the best of times..).

Anyway as I sat back, the Phaji that was giving the talk started talking as I wondered off to dreamland… Then something the Phaji giving the talk said came through to me. Phaji was talking about death and how it could happen to anyone at any time. That no one can guarantee that they will be around when they are old and have lived their life so that they can turn religious then. Then Phaji said,


‘imagine your worst nightmare, that’s what death is
but many times worse’

now that comment hit me. I started to think, what am I doing, I have wasted my life, I have not done a small percentage of the Paath or Simran that I could have done. As my mind spun out of control about how gruesome death is going to be, I came back to planet earth and carried on listening to Phaji. He was now talking about Guru Granth Sahib Ji. About how Guru Ji is our living Guru and our friend, the only person who will be their for us no matter what. Listening to that bought a sense of relief to me, I was thinking Guru Ji knows I love Him, Guru Ji understands everything in life today etc basically making excuses for my lack of effort.

Just as Phaji was wrapping up his talk, he started to stress the fact that all we had to do was take one step towards Guru Ji and Guru Ji will takes many towards us, this gave me a warm sense of peace inside as Guru Ji had always been there for me and I could relate to what Phaji was saying.

As Phaji was saying this over and over I could see the kids were taking in what he was saying as on the whole the talk had given them some things to think about (death, Sikhi etc) and I thought to myself that this session has been productive.

Then all of a sudden the face of the Phaji giving the talk had an expression of shock and disbelief on it and all the kids sitting there saw it, we all turned back to look at what’s shocking him and he stood up and said,


‘All I said was we have to take one step towards Guru
Ji and He will come towards us, look Guru Ji has come to us Himself’

As we all looked round there was Guru Ji going past the room (the Gyani Ji was bringing Guru Ji Back from somewhere) and all the kids stood up to pay respect and I for one stood there in shock. The kids all looked at each other in disbelief at what had just happened.

As we walked away from that talk, I for one had experienced something that I feel changed my life. Later on that day when I spoke to the kids about the talk, they all had one thing to say, that it opened their eyes in one way or another and one of the girls said to me

‘We have always heard stories about the greatness of the Guru’s, today I feel as if I have experienced a miracle, Guru Ji came to me without me making a move I just can’t believe it that actually happened…’

And I sat there with a smile on my face thinking Guru Ji; you’re just too good…


Dhan Dhan Guru Granth Sahib Ji Maharaaj

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home